While many of us were celebrating our beautiful Independence Day, my baby sister was having a miracle. Dutch Bailey Davis was welcomed into the world yesterday by two loving parents and an onslaught of loving aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, great grandparents, and great aunts and uncles. He weighed 5 lbs 15 oz and was 19 1/2 inches long, with black curly hair (I know!). With the flair for drama that we all know she has, my littlest sister almost gave birth in her car. As a matter of fact, if I have my facts straight, our little one was born less than 30 minutes after arriving at the hospital. Since only family members read this blog many of you already know this. But it is so amazing it is worth mentioning again. I'm told that Dutchie looks like his daddy, but he is obviously going to be much like his mommy. After all, she has never been one to do things in a traditional way - which is of course one of the things that we all love the most about her. Selfishly, I am very, very sad, and I will say (DO NOT LET THIS MAKE YOU FEEL BAD, PAM! It shouldn't, but I'm just making sure) that I cried after he was born - out of pure relief (I really didn't want my sister having her baby in the car, no matter how amazing her husband is - and of course he is) and a little bit of sorrow. You see, for the first time ever I was actually supposed to/able to be there when one of my little sisters gave birth. I was even planning on coming before the due date, just in case. Of course, the love of my life then had to have unexpected knee surgery, which sort of put a kink in things, but even then I was supposed to make it. If I had to drop everything and fly out immediately. However, my beloved new nephew chose to come three days after his uncles surgery, which made it impossible for me to go. But enough of my whining, it's selfish and uncalled for, but at least I feel a little bit better after having written that. I am so proud of Pammy, though. Obviously, because of the nature of the actual labor, she labored naturally, but she did an incredible job. And now she has done one of the most amazing and noble things that the Lord allows us to do, she has become a mother. She and Chris will now know forever what it means to have your heart "walking around outside of your body." They will feel overwhelming and instantaneous love, and receive it in return. A beautiful portrait of their love created in this amazing little child who is both her and him. Enjoy your little one - cherish every second. The lack of sleep and the midnight feedings, the hours of crying and the moments of calm. The dirty diapers, toothless grins and tiny little hands and feet. Be there for all of his firsts, hold him just because, tell him you love him all the time, and always kiss him before you lay him down. You've heard it before, and you'll hear it again, but it goes quickly. As parents we have such a small, precious window - don't miss a second. Then, on his first day of kindergarten, and his 8th birthday, his 16th birthday, and at his high school and college graduations, and yes, even on his wedding day, you can say that you have no regrets, only happy memories. I love you. Very much.
The Lord bless you and keep you
The Lord let His face shine upon you
And give you peace, and give you peace
And give you peace, forever
The Lord be gracious to you
The Lord turn His face toward you
And give you peace and give you peace
And give you peace, forever
Numbers 6:24-26
Saturday, July 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
You are an amazing writer. I am crying. I was very upset that none of us were able to be there with Pam. However, it wouldn't have mattered. We would not have made it in time. I wanted to tell everyone about it, but not many people cared as much as i did. That is a bit frustrating. :)
Hey no one was there when I had Bella or Evie and it worked out fine!
But I know how you both feel. I have been so sad I wasn't able to be there either. Maybe it is beacuse she is the baby and we are suppose to take care of her!
How is that Pam and Heather are always shuffled out of the deck? I am so grateful that Kelli is there and is the doting grandmother. In truth it is her turn. Even if I had tried to fly I wouldn't have been able to get there until the next day. No flights were leaving for Pittsburgh until Saturday. Dutch is apparently going to do things like Nathanael - in his own time.
Silly sister. You don't need to feel sad that you missed Dutchie. Just think how much more fun he will be by the time you get to see him! And you did help me. If you hadn't told me not to waste my energy screaming I would have been much more unruly during my labor.
Post a Comment