Friday, July 11, 2008

A little bit of this, a little bit of that

Right now I am taking a hiatus from packing our bag and cleaning the house in preparation to go and visit my youngest sister. It is amazing how complicated one little trip can become. I can only bring one child with me, and after prayerful consideration Daddy and I decided it should be our middle one. He struggles more with self-esteem and a sense of belonging then the other two do, and is the one at the time who needs the most TLC. However, my other two children protested VERY loudly about this. Noah automatically assumed it was his right to go because he went with me last time. Plus, "Wonder Dog misses me - yuh-huh, yes he does." And Carlye lamented that she is never the one to get to go, and she's the girl so she should have gone first (chivalry is alive and well in our home, but little girl may be getting a little full of herself) and she's better at helping take care of babies than he is. At one point when the other two were crying Carl asked Nathanael why he wasn't. He just looked up at him and said, "Because. It's not my problem." Daddy thought it was hilarious and Mommy was astounded by the complete insensitivity. In preparation for my departure the kids and I have gone to Up N Jacks (an indoor bounce place), Noah and I spent the whole day together yesterday, and Carlye and I are going to go and see Kit Kittredge today at the movies. Carlye has read several of the books and cannot wait to see the movie. In all actuality all of those things were going to happen anyway, but it makes it easier for me to leave when I know I haven't been negligent as a mom. Not to say that you have to go out and spend money to be a good mom. The other night we had hours of fun spending the evening playing games, and of course the creek is our old standby as well. Meanwhile, Nathanael cannot wait to fly. I'm a little nervous, simply because we have a short layover on one part of our journey and I'm always a little neroutic about missing the connecting flight. But I know that it will all be great.

Four new Webkinz have joined our lives. The kids won money at the mutton bustin' and used it to buy themselves more Lil Kinz. Carlye bought a unicorn named Snowflake, and a brown horse named Abigail, Nathanael's is a brown bear named Noah and Noah's is a chicken named Chicken Pants.

There was the most beautiful bird in our garage the other day. It looked somewhat like a large finch, and it had beautiful bright red and yellow markings on its stomach and face, and brown wings and top feathers with red and yellow splashes. Carl's favorite part was that it was eating the red wasps in our garage, eating the larvae out of the wasps nests and knocking the nests onto the ground. We finally found out that it was a type of bunting, and very rare. Nathanael wanted to shoot it with a "sleep gun" and keep it.

2 comments:

Heidi Noel said...

I am impressed by your decision of who to take. But, even more by the arguments against it. It was great! When are you leaving?

pambelina said...

I think Chicken Pants is the coolest name I've ever heard!