Saturday, January 28, 2012

Butterfly Ball

5 years ago we started a class at our church called Princess Academy. It's for girls ages 4 yrs to 6th grade and it meets on Wednesday nights. They are separated by classes: Pre-K/Camelot; Kinder/Princesses, 1st-2nd/Duchesses, 3rd-4th/Grand Duchesses and 5th-6th/Empresses. When we started we had 20 girls. I wrote the curriculum, and the goal was to teach the girls who they are as daughters of our Heavenly Father, memorize scripture and participate in service projects such as visiting Nursing Homes, having Bake sales and then using the money to buy food for Food Pantries, gathering supplies for fire victims, etc. As I was thinking about it I decided that all little girls have dreamed of going to a ball, so that for our end of year celebration we would hold a Princess Ball. At the ball all of the girls who have attended over 75% of the time, memorized their verses, assisted in the service projects, etc would be presented with a tiara. Our first year we presented 20 girls with tiara's.

Last night we had our 4th annual ball. And we presented 75 girls with their tiara's.

It has taken me 2 weeks to finalize the preparations and decorations for the ball. Here are a few pictures, although I know they aren't the greatest!:

Our theme was butterfly and our colors were blue and purple with silver accents. Then we had a white carriage that looked like it was being carried away by butterflies. Since it was in a gym we covered the floor in balloons so that you couldn't see it, hung a false ceiling of gossamer and twinkle lights and I covered the walls in blue, purple and silver gossamer. The tables had silver tablecloths with purple runners, and the chairs had silver covers with purple and blue butterflies made from tulle. The centerpieces for half of the tables were butterfly chandeliers I found on Pinterest, and on the other tables we had hydrangeas with live butterflies. Let me just say - making those butterflies fly was no easy feat.



My friend Kristen made this cake. The line of butterflies you see was MUCH thicker by the time she was finished. Those are edible butterflies that she hand cut and shaped, and think sprinkled with edible glitter!


Hopefully I'll get some good pictures from Jodi soon. Then you can really see what I've been doing for 2 weeks!

2 comments:

Heidi Noel said...

Beautiful! You are so talented. What an amazing program! It looks better than my prom.

Katherine said...

That is so amazing!! I just love the idea and everything looks so beautiful.