Thursday, September 3, 2009

Piano Lessons

Today Carlye and Nathanael had their very first piano lessons today. The lessons went like this:

We walked in the door and Nathanael walked VERY quickly to the bench and sat down because he wanted to go first (he REALLY wanted to take piano lessons).

"Okay, Nathanael, lets begin learning how to play the piano."

"I already know how, see." (loud pounding commences)

"That's very nice, but we're going to learn to read notes."

"Okay."

His teacher began to work with him on hand position, seating position, etc. All while Nathanael pounded happily away at the keys. She gently covered his hands in an attempt, I believe, to stop the desecration.

"Lets work on quarter notes and half notes now. Listen closely, 1, 1, 1-2...."

"Oh, I know. Like this."

"Well, listen closely, let's clap it..."

"Oh, I know. Like this."

After 10 minutes I was wondering why we were paying a teacher, because Nathanael apparently is already a very skilled pianist.

Just ask him.

I must say, though, that despite knowing it all he really did do very well, and his poor teacher did even better, as she made it through the lesson and was still smiling at the end! And Nathanael thoroughly enjoyed practicing this evening.

Carlye was a little more relaxed, and didn't claim to know anything, although she, too, pounded on the keys mercilessly while her teacher tried to teach.

But my dearest daughter did say something very beautiful as her teacher encouraged her to gently run her fingers up the keys.

"That sounds just like a rainbow."

And it did.

2 comments:

Penny said...

Hannah loves taking piano lessons. She has even writen a short song which she is going to make longer and add words in the very near future.
Love their imaginations!
I am glad they had a good first lesson.

Heidi Noel said...

If we had a piano or a way for my children to practice I would love to do this for them. I wish I had been more diligent.