Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Injustice

Today was not a good day for my poor middle born son. He and several of his friends were playing Star Wars at recess and didn't hear the teacher announce that it was time to line up. As soon as they saw they all ran, but were to late. After getting "yelled at" by the teacher they were all informed that tomorrow during recess they will have to walk the trees.

He is completely devastated.

And, I gotta be honest with you, as the momma I am NOT too thrilled either. Here's a kid who NEVER gets in trouble at school, and quite honestly did NOT hear the teachers call (they should get whistles!), so this was not done out of rebellion. It was an honest to goodness mistake. I seriously considered calling his teacher and informing her of the unfairness of her decision.

Then, however, the teacher in me woke up. Life ISN'T fair. It never has been. And I would be doing a terrible disservice to him if I tried to teach him that it was. I mean, let's face it - there is absolutely no way that this will be the last time that something unfair happens to him. Not at all. Plus, it IS his responsibility to listen for the teachers. I'll bet from now on he will.

Just a guess.

4 comments:

~kristi said...

Being a parent is tough stuff! proud of you, but probably would have fought off calling and then spent the remainder of the semester wondering - did I do the right thing for my kid?

JJthe1st said...

i would feel the same way. Hang in there.

Andy said...

I like your response. Honestly, it's a painful lesson to learn, but yeah it happens that sometimes the innocent are punished. I would guess that as long as y'all are supporting him and telling him you believe he didn't mean to disobey that he'll be okay.

pambelina said...

Life isn't fair? No one told me.