Saturday, September 3, 2011

Life, Public School, Home School, and Just a Really Long Blog

We are two weeks into school and life is going on all around us. Homework, book clubs, piano and viola lessons, tennis lessons, shooting our bows and video games. We find more time as a family now that we are back on a schedule - there is less of one person doing this and one person doing that, and more of all of us spending our time together. Our diet is slowly changing for the better due to Nathanael's gluten allergy, hunting season is starting soon and the doctor has started me on more exercises to strengthen my back. There is always so much going on, but I am so thankful for all of it. We are blessed with such an amazing family.

Carl and I are using the public school system as our babysitter and going on dates once a week again (by the way, we have seen Cowboys and Aliens and Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and enjoyed both of them). I love it because we drop off the kids at school, go and eat brunch and catch an 11:45 movie. A much cheaper date than going in the evening! :-) Then, when the kids are home we actually get to spend our time with them.

I'm sad as I watch all of my babies growing. Carl always teases me and tells me that this confuses him because he thought that was the point! I smile, because I know that it is, but it's always sad when you see chapters in your life ending. It's been a year exactly since my last miscarriage, and at times I am still very sad that I can't have any more children. And I'm sad as we move more fully into this new chapter of school and class parties and homework and all of the things that go along with it. I'm enjoying it, but it is different. And I'm struggle as we decide what to do with our oldest at the end of this year. It is such a difficult decision, and I don't like not having an answer. All that we know is that she will not continue on in the public school system that she is currently in. This leaves 3 options:

1) Change school districts to a smaller 1A or 2A school in our area

Pro's about this are
a) She would be in a smaller school where teachers and parents alike keep a close eye on the kids and if anything DID happen we would know about before she even came home
b) We know a lot of the families there and they are good, conservative Christian people
c) She would still get to socialize with kids her age while learning to deal with peer pressure and learning how to make good choices while under our supervision

Con's about this are
a) Having the kids in 2 separate schools
b) There's 30 minute drive to each of the schools we're considering
c) It's still a public school just on a smaller scale
d) Their holidays and start and finish days don't line up with each other
e) I don't know how I'm going to be actively involved in 2 schools so far apart
f) She may have to ride a bus. I am NOT a fan of children on busses in their pre-teen and teen age years. Not at all

2) Enroll her in private school

Pro's about this are
a) It's a Christian school that shares our beliefs and values and incorporates that as part of their curriculum
b) They have an orchestra program and a great drama program
c) She will actually get a better education than she would in public school (and learn Latin)
d) As well as all of the pro's listed for #1

Con's about this are
a) It's incredibly expensive
b) Again a 30 minute drive
c) May not be able to get her in this year because she's been on the waiting list for 3 years already)

3) Homeschool
Pro's about this are
a) I can make sure that she is getting a good education because what she is learning will be up to me
b) While she is in a very vulnerable and crazy (and hormonal) age she'll be under our influence instead of that of other teachers and adults who may not share our beliefs
c) None of her close friends actually go to her school anyway, so she should still have plenty of socialization
d) She can participate in the Youth Orchestra (again, socialization) so she won't have to give up her viola
e) We can tailor our hours to match those of her brothers, and still be involved in all of their activities

Con's about this are
a) I'm not confident in my teaching
b) She will rarely see any of her school friends
c) Carl wants to make sure that she doesn't become 'socially awkward' - or basically he wants to make sure that she can still interact with people in a healthy way, handle difficulties well that arise with other people, and not end up in a crazy bubble that leaves her un-prepared (socially) for college, work and life in general

So there you have it. I've learned to stop asking for advice, because everyone has a reason as to why what we are doing is wrong and that we are too overprotective, and in the end I know that Carl and I will be the ones to answer to Heavenly Father for how we raise our kids - no one else will - so their opinions don't really matter anyway.

So as we move into this new chapter - and I don't even know which one it will be! - I am doing my best to enjoy this one. Pre-teen daughter and all. Because after this year, for better or for worse, it will never be the same.

And, as Carl says, that's the point.

4 comments:

Heidi Noel said...

Look up K12 online and go to their website. It is the homeschool program we are doing. It's claim to fame is that it is "Public School Online" and free! Everything we need has been sent to us books, teachers books, even a computer and printer if you need it. One week in and it is great! It is a work out moving from one child to another, but that won't be an issue for you. Plus, they are done in 4-5 hours.

Marcus and Anneke still each have a teacher they answer to. I talk to them, e-mail them and they are fabulous at addressing concerns. The kids get to pass from one grade to another and get a diploma in the end. The child can move as slowly or quickly as they need. There are still clubs and field trips, too. It has been nice. It may not be your answer, but it is worth a shot.

~kristi said...

Sorry been MIA lately, been reading from afar. YOU insecure in your teaching abilities??!?!? No way. You would be perfect. I am way too biased on the subject, but if you do want info I can share.

Heather said...

My advice is for you to home school her. Not that I feel strongly about any of the choices but you obviously do. How can I tell? You have more pros listed under home school than any other. Pray and Heavenly Father will guide you to do what is right. I love you!

JJthe1st said...

You are one of the best mom's I know and I know that you adn Carl pray about you kids every day. God is faithful. He will not let you flounder around in confusion. He will see you through this and you will know what you are supposed to do. Hang in there. Learn all you can from this waiting process. I know it's hard especially whenyour kids are involved. They are our hearts walking around outside of our bodies after all. Love you!