Thursday, September 1, 2011

Pants

It has been - on average - 106 degrees outside. It makes for very pleasant days.

To add to our pleasure, the A/C at my kids school isn't working very well in either my daughters or my middle son's classrooms.

Because of all of this I wasn't overly shocked when I picked my kids up from school on Monday and Carlye had a headache and was sick to her stomach because she was dehydrated. Using my mad skills of assumption, I came to the conclusion that part of the problem may be that she had worn pants to school.

The even bigger problem was that I have forbidden her from wearing pants to school until it cools down because it's TOO HOT! (I know, rocket science, right?) Daddy had brought them to school, though, and she pulled a fast one on him because he didn't know my rule. Yesterday, she tried to pull it over on me. Sadly for her, I was once a 10 year old girl myself (I know - shocker!).

Carlye made her morning entrance in blue jeans and a t-shirt. Being a particularly evil and mean Mom, I sent her to her room to change into shorts. She came out in super short shorts that she's only allowed to wear with leggings underneath - without the leggings. Again, I sent her to her room to change while the boys and I went to the car, signaling that it was time to go. She arrived at the car with shorts, leggings and a t-shirt on.

Mama was NOT happy. I marched her out of the car, into the house, and into a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. I lectured her on the fact that all of her clean clothes were on her floor (she told me all her clothes were dirty) and the fact that she hadn't been listening. I asked her to apologize to her brothers for making them late to school - because making Nathanael late for school can send him into an apoplectic fit - and sat back to breathe. Congratulating my self on the fact that I had spoken to her very calmly and quietly without raising my voice at all. She stared me down in the rear view mirror and said to them (in an amazingly salty and sarcastic voice):

"Sorry boys that I have no clue what mom wants me to wear."


Mom then proceeded to ground her until her room is clean. In our house, that's way worse than being grounded for the week, because actually cleaning the room takes MUCH longer.

I just love having a pre-teen!

1 comment:

Grandma Bailey said...

I read the last paragraph first and thought you were telling a story of your childhood! Sorry but I had to chuckle. Preteen was not my favorite but it does get better eventually - I promise. If not in the next few years then by the time they turn 25!