My son came a little closer to being a man today. Even though he is only six years old he had to make choices today that many of us cannot (or will not) even as adults. It was painful, and humiliating, and he did it anyway. As his mother I am sorrowful and proud - and I can't stop crying. He saw some little boys picking on a little girl today on the playground at school, and so he stood up for her. Those three little boys then tackled him and beat him up, resulting in a busted up chin, scratched neck and some bruises on his arms. He didn't tell his teacher. He told his daddy and I that just because people are mean to you doesn't mean that you should be mean back, and tattling is mean. He showed character today beyond his years in his understanding that people who are weaker than you are to be protected, not hurt, and especially in his understanding that those boys are weaker than him. He's asked us not to get involved, and at this time we won't. I'm disappointed that there wasn't better supervision on the playground, but here is what I know. Life is hard. Bullies aren't just on the playground. Weak and hurting people are everywhere. Maybe my son really has learned all there is to know in kindergarten.
Monday, September 15, 2008
Today
My son came a little closer to being a man today. Even though he is only six years old he had to make choices today that many of us cannot (or will not) even as adults. It was painful, and humiliating, and he did it anyway. As his mother I am sorrowful and proud - and I can't stop crying. He saw some little boys picking on a little girl today on the playground at school, and so he stood up for her. Those three little boys then tackled him and beat him up, resulting in a busted up chin, scratched neck and some bruises on his arms. He didn't tell his teacher. He told his daddy and I that just because people are mean to you doesn't mean that you should be mean back, and tattling is mean. He showed character today beyond his years in his understanding that people who are weaker than you are to be protected, not hurt, and especially in his understanding that those boys are weaker than him. He's asked us not to get involved, and at this time we won't. I'm disappointed that there wasn't better supervision on the playground, but here is what I know. Life is hard. Bullies aren't just on the playground. Weak and hurting people are everywhere. Maybe my son really has learned all there is to know in kindergarten.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
What a man.
Tell 'Thaniel (can I still call him that?) that Uncle Andy is proud of him. My mom likes to tell the story of the time when she was making Christmas cookies that I asked her to make some for the kid that was bullying me at school. While it didn't make anything better, I wanted to do it. We found out later that he was being bullied by his soccer coach. I just ended up being an outlet for his inability to cope with that situation.
I'm at a loss for what else to say, but I don't feel like I've expressed how glad I am to have a nephew that can make the kind of decisions that he just did. He's more mature than a lot of the adults I see around here.
I cried as I read your blog. I can't imagine how i would handle a situation like that with Marcus. I don't like to see my family hurt, but I am so pleased with his choices. WOW! You and blessed to have a boy with such a big heart.
First of all that is a really cute picture and secondly that makes my heart hurt. He's only six and he already has to deal with something like that! Good for him and that shows what a good example you and Carl have been for him.
I was curious and asked my children what they would do. Both would of course stand up for the girl. (It is easy in theory.) Then Anneke said if they tried to beat her up she would "kick them and make them bleed." oh, well. I can't in them all.
This post made me cry. You have raised a wonderful son! Youa re a good Mother for not getting involved - I am not sure I could be so strong! Oh and Anneke's solution sounds like something I would do/say! LOL! And I will admit it is close to what I was thinking when I read the post. Maybe not "kick them and make them bleed" but those boys obviously need a good spanking! And serious where were all the adults when this was going on? And how does a teacher not notice that kind of abuse?
Daddy and I cried too. I couldn't post yesterday because it was just too tender but I am finding it isn't much easier today. We are very proud of Nathanael. He truly is Nathanael the Great.
Post a Comment