
This weekend a dear friend of mine treated Carlye and I to a night at the Point Theatre. I was a little leery because last summer we went to see High School Musical and it was atrocious! None of the actors could sing, act or dance except for one, and he just couldn't save the show himself. So, I was nervous. Then I found out that Sonya Thompson was in it, and that the director was the same guy who directed daddy in Man of La Mancha - which was awesome, so I began to think this may be better than I thought. It was magical! The sets were beautiful, the costumes were creme de la creme, and the singing and acting were superb. Gaston was despicable, Lefloo was hilarious (with an amazing singing voice), the Beast was scary and then made you love him - top notch costume by the way - and Belle was as good as a Disney Princess. Carlye has never even seen the movie (how do I not own this?), and she was mesmerized. Lumiere and Mrs. Potts even had the correct accents (Sonya was Mrs. Potts). And did I say that the costumes were amazing, because, WOW! Cogsworth, the wardrobe, the dishes and silverware and cups and........... They even had a 60 person dance sequence for Be our Guest and a pretty amazing one for Gaston's song in the pub. I have two regrets - First, that my nieces and nephews aren't here for me to take to see it, and Second, that I didn't bring Carlye to audition.

6 comments:
one more regret should be that you have no pictures to share! I would have loved to see the costumes and the actors. That is assuming they still do the after show greeting where you could have snapped pictures!
I love Doug and Sonya! Now, I am so jealous. Carlye would love acting at the Point. Next summer you should remember that. Oh, I want to take Anneke.
Last year when our Middle School pulled it off fairly well - I can just imagine what the Point did. Doug directed it? Wow! That must have been wonderful. I am very impressed with the stage production of "Beauty and the Beast". I am not sure how Disney did it but no wonder it does as well as the movie ever did.
Doug is a magical director. I went and saw another production of Man of La Mancha and it was horrible compared to Doug's version.
Hannah and I are going to see it this coming Saturday, we are looking forward to having a girls evening.
It wasn't Doug that directed it, but it listed Man of La Mancha under his directing credits - could it have been the assistant director? And no, you're not allowed to snap pics during the performance, and the meet and greet was almost impossible to get up to the front. I do want to go again, though, and bring Cassie and Victoria, hopefully.
Post a Comment