Being a mom is an adventure - I have always know this. And I love adventures. At least, I thought that I did. Now, however, we seem to be traveling towards some very scary places.
Such as my daughter turning 9 soon, and already believing that she is 16. Once upon a time I used to dream about having one or two more little girls. Now, I am thankful that I only have one little princess to contend with as we travel through the new and scary worlds of fashion and self-esteem and boys (Mommy, is it ok if I like a boy as long as I don't do anything about it?) and finding out who we are. I can tell her who she is, she just doesn't seem to value my opinion very much.
Landmark #2 is that my oldest son no longer believes that it is cool to acknowledge me (or any family member for that matter) in public. He feels truly guilty about it later, and tries to give lots of hugs and kisses in an attempt to smooth things over, but the fact still remains that he cannot be persuaded upon for any reason to show us that he loves us, or even knows us, if other people are around. I know that this is normal for some kids, but he is my only one to do this, and I find it very insulting. Of course, being the great parents that we are, we have informed him that if he doesn't start acknowledging people (he ignored his Nani and Aunt Sissy and Uncle Bubba the other day in a restaurant) he will be a very, very sad little boy. We're all for defining yourself, you just can't be rude while you do it.
Our third stop on this new adventure is that my baby - the only one that I have left at home to read to and cuddle with and sing songs with and laugh with and take everywhere with me - turns 5 years old in a few days. Which means that he goes to kindergarten in 11 months. Which I think means that we should have another baby. Carl, however, is not a fan of having a new baby every time someone goes to kindergarten. Go figure.
Of course, there are the other adventures within the adventure. Noah called his sister a vanilla butt the other morning, which sent everyone in the vehicle into hysterical laughter, therefore reinforcing the joy of name calling despite mommy's words to the contrary. Nathanael is more driven than any child I've ever met to be a good reader, and is working diligently to overcome his struggles in the area by reading all of the time. Did you know that Optimus Prime is a sight word? And sister is consistently bringing home 100's and 60's. Yes, 60's. Apparently our little diva doesn't always feel like doing her work, even though she can. (Excuse me, How did I get Heather - I always loved school!).
So we are now preparing for this new path. One full of friends and extra curricular activities and Honor Roll (or not) and spending more time following your kids around to piano lessons and tennis lessons than with your own friends (it's so weird to watch that transition happen, I always wondered why parents rarely seemed to do anything with their friends!). And slowly the realization of how quickly life passes is dawning. Sure, I already knew it - but I don't think I knew it. And I'm sure that eventually I'll realize it again. And again.

3 comments:
I totally understand. As we speak ABigail is trying to type on the computer with me and oh now she has a pen stuck in her hair. Got it out! ANyway. They are growing so fast and in some ways it feels like their lives have taken over ours. Still love you though. Oh by the way, God gave you Heather because He knew you would hve Carlye. He had to help you out a little bit. I got my brother for a son. Ryan doesn't see it but I do. Anyway, I have to say I am enjoying watching them grow. Yours included.
I am dreading when the girls reach the point Carlye is at! As for the school thing - I am sorry. I am not even sure what to tell you. She knows how to do her homework and she is probably so far ahead of the rest of the class she is bored. I got the grades I had to get to pass but it seemed like a waste of effort to do more. Of course I was stuck between 2 super smart sisters who loved school and I was constantly being compared to them so I felt the need to define myself through bad grades. All I can say is check up on her without being annoying. Set a mandatory study/homework time aside for her everyday and go from there. Oh and ask her why she is getting 60s there maybe a reason beyond boredom. I love you and good luck!
Oh and I hope this means my oldest will be like you or Heidi since
you already have one like me. ;)
We have looked into it and we talked to her teacher about it (you know me, I analyze and investigate EVERYTHING) - it's pure unadulterated laziness. At least we know what we're dealing with! She's smart, and has a good self-esteem, so we can deal with the grades.
Post a Comment