Monday, September 21, 2009

Mommy Moments

Before you read this post, you should know that my daughter has a flare for the dramatic. She comes by it innocently enough - I mean, it's all her Aunt Pammy's fault. However, because of this trait we tend to believe that things aren't always as bad as she thinks they are. SO, this morning my daughter came in and said that her throat hurt, and since she didn't have a fever we gave her some Motrin and sent her grumpily on her way to school. 45 minutes after school started she was in the nurses office. The sweet school nurse called me, said that Carlye didn't have a fever and that she thought she could give her a throat lozenge and send her back to class. So that's what we did. Carlye, however, disagreed strongly with our verdict, and one hour later, she returned. This time in agonizing pain, and unable to stay at school. So before I left the house to pick her up, I called and made her a doctors appointment. They had to work us in, and since absolutely everyone in Texas believes that if they are sick they have the swine flu we had to wait for almost 3 hours!!!!!!

At one point, as I'm gazing at my sweet little daughter while she sits on the exam table, watching the end of the Empire Strikes Back with her littlest brother (a movie, I might add, that they started in the doctors office!!!) I found myself getting really irritated. I mean, I had laundry that I needed to fold today, bathrooms that needed cleaning and many other things to do. And instead of having a productive day at home, I was sitting in a doctors office! Not to mention this was going to be expensive. So, in all of the love and brilliance of a mom who wants the best for her child, I said, "Young lady, you better be sick, or you are gonna be in a lot of trouble when we get home!"

By the way - she was sick. Allergies, drainage.

But she'll be okay.

3 comments:

pambelina said...

I don't know what you mean. I'm not dramatic and I'm VERY upset that you would think so! Now I'm going to go cry and eat candy corn.

Heidi Noel said...

I am so glad that I don't have dramatic children.

Heidi Noel said...

I want candy corn too. Mmmm...
Anneke is crying because I wouldn't drive two blocks to pick Marcus up from the school bus. Marcus is crying because he doesn't remember saying something he said 5 minutes ago. Again, I am so glad I do not have dramatic children.