Tuesday, January 20, 2009

One word

I've often wondered at peoples propensity to assign titles to things or describe all that is held within with just one word. Why is this so important? I would never want to be described in one word, because my life is so much more than that. Wouldn't it be a better goal for us to become people who are difficult to describe? The title of mother - while noble and valuable - is in and of itself a very poor description of who I may be. Am I a good mother, a poor mother, and can I be just a mother? No, I am a child of the King, a wife, a mother, a daughter and a friend. I am a pianist (if a poor one), a writer and an avid reader. I am happy at times, sad even less often, and strive for joy at all times. I love morning sunsets, and gazing at the stars, and the smell of a campfire on a cool evening. I cry at movies, commercials, after listening to a good song, and when I read books. I love old victorian furniture and a comfy leather couch, and have gut my own deer (with a LOT of help.) I am different, and unique, and I cannot be summed up with a solitary word. Neither can you. And yet, how often do we dismiss a person after only one encounter. We may not be the braggarts of old who claim full knowledge of a person after a single handshake, but we are often guilty of the same transgression. Do we not stake or break friendships on a single encounter, casting judgement on another because of one action? As though we have never had a bad day. Even the most desirable of people are undesirable at times. In my worst moments I'm ashamed for God Himself to see me, let alone a fellow human being. And yet, first impressions are made, set in cement, and sealed. Should we dare to give them another chance it will be colored by what we now know, and should it be someone that we are forced to deal with on a frequent basis all other encounters are often colored by the first. Or are they?

2 comments:

JJthe1st said...

WOW! This one was one of your best. I know that you have not dismissed me with just one word. You have been a faithful friend even in the hard times, when I am , in one word, unloveable.

Elise said...

Love your posts! you're amazing :) I wish I was articulate with things!